Mardi Gras takes place at Universal Orlando select evenings through April 16, 2016. Guests can enjoy New Orleans food specialties such as jambalaya, andouille sausage, gumbo, beignets and much more! Beignets are made from deep-fried dough with powdered sugar on the top, similar to funnel cakes. They were also declared the official state doughnut of Louisiana back in 1986. Originally published on the Universal Orlando Blog, here is a recipe for Universal Mardi Gras beignets so you can bring home the magic of the Universal Orlando version of Mardi Gras. Enjoy!
Beignets Recipe from Universal Orlando Mardi Gras
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 2 eggs
- 1 ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 7 cups bread flour
- ¼ cup shortening
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Oil for deep fryer
- Mix water, sugar, and yeast in a bowl. Rest mix for 10 minutes.
- Mix eggs, salt, and evaporated milk in a separate bowl.
- Combine egg mixture with the yeast mixture. Add 3 cups of bread flour and stir.
- In a new bowl add the 4 remaining cups of bread flour with the shortening and stir.
- Add your original mix to the new flour mix. Stir.
- Knead the resulted dough.
- Cover the dough in a nonstick sprayed container or bowl with plastic wrap. Rest for 2 hours.
- Roll the dough until flat (about ¼ inch think) and cut into 1-inch squares.
- Heat deep fryer to 350 degrees F. Add the squares and flip until golden brown.
- Remove from fryer and coat with powdered sugar.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Want to get all our tips and tricks for visiting the Wizarding World of Harry Potter? We wrote a travel guide for the Wizarding World of Harry Potter Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley! We included all our tips and tricks that we’ve learned over the last few years to make your visit to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter as magical as possible. Be sure to check them out! Plus, book your Universal Orlando Resort vacation with Destinations in Florida and you’ll get them both for FREE! That’s a $40 value!
Get your Harry Potter theme park souvenirs from the official Harry Potter shop, the WB Shop!